Sunday, January 10, 2010

"Organizing"


We have been speaking to the kids about taking more responsibility around the house, and helping out in areas that they are capable of.  Of course, the first question "Will we get paid?"  was in unison, and for the umpteenth time, I recited all the reasons why they should help "just because".  We have accidentally trained these kids to expect a financial reward for doing things.  I went with the lame "it is just a nice feeling when your house is neat"  "it is easier to play when you can find what you are looking for"  "we always get you what you need, and sometimes extra things that you want"  "you shouldn't only help to get paid", and I think at that point, the Nintendos were back on......game over for me.
This morning after religion class, we stopped at the grocery store for some essentials.  Among them were some new toothbrushes and toothpaste.  I also decided to buy the mouth rinse that they make for kids that shows them where they really need to brush.  When I explained to the kids what it was, their eyes lit up like it was Christmas morning again.  Who knew?  They wanted to make sure that all moms were aware that such an amazing product existed, and I, slightly embarrased and feeling like a terrible mother, admitted that this has been around for years.  Oh well, better late than never.
We got home and when I pulled into the driveway, I reminded the kids that we were expecting them to start helping more, and that they were going to carry in groceries.  I did not get a single moan, or request for financial compensation!  One by one they made several trips to the car and in a flash everything was inside.  I was now expecting them to disappear.  Much to my surprise, Brady started unpacking!  He said, "Come on guys, lets help Mommy unpack."  I think I would have pinched myself, but I wanted to see where this dream was going to take me.
They put away some things that they could, and at that point, I thanked them profusely and encouraged them to scram while I finished up and then made lunch.  With that, some normalcy returned and the Nintendo DS's were brought back to life.  After lunch, I told the kids that they needed to work on picking up anything lying around that belonged to them, and to start taking care of their messes.  I began to fold laundry and shout friendly reminders about who left what on the back stairs.  Delaney noticed that there were some bathroom items and in a flash brought everything upstairs.  Brady came down quickly after that to retrieve some items that we keep in the pantry for the early morning grooming ritual.  He announced that they were all going to get ready by themselves in their bathroom from now on, and he was gone as quickly as he arrived.  I noticed that there was no fighting or crying, but could tell that all 3 kids were working on something together.  Brady then asked me if it was okay to open the Lysol wipes, because Rory was going to clean their bathroom counter!  Please don't wake up, I whispered to myself.
After several minutes I went upstairs to find these strangers that had taken over my children's bodies.  There they were, grinning, kneeling in the bathroom, organizing all of their toiletries.  They were so proud of their work, and I have to admit that I am proud of finally beginning to instill a sense of responsibility and ownership into them, or finally buying that exciting mouth rinse.  Better late than never, indeed!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! See I didn't need to show up to reorganize for you...you already have 3 little helpers...who knew!

    ReplyDelete